ABS-CBN’s First in the Philippine Broadcasting History (Part 2)
Posted by rency0722 on February 24, 2010
A sequel to my earl post, once again, the ABS-CBN’s first in Broadcasting history.
FIRST TV Broadcaster to Venture Philippine Telecommunication Network
- With the acquisition of the Lopez’ to Sarmiento Telecommunication Network (then renamed Philippine Telegraph and Telephone Company or PT&T), it became the first TV venture to a Philippine Telecommunication network.
The ONLY TV Network in Color
- In the mid-70’s, ABS-CBN was the only Philippine TV Station in color and increased their programming up to 8 hours a week.
Philippines’ FIRST Telethon was done in ABS-CBN
- On July 17, 1972, “Damayan”, the first telethon was gathered by big stars such as Dolphy, Vilma Santos and Nora Aunor to help the devastated places in the country affected by the Typhoon Isang.
FIRST Simultaneous Microwave Transmission Over The Country
- “Bridges on the Air” became a reality on 1988 using the acquired PT&T and simulcast programming over Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao using microwave transmission.
The Country’s FIRST Media Based Organization
- ABS-CBN incorporated the operations for relief and public service named ABS-CBN Foundations in 1991
FIRST Media Talent Center Venture
- ABS-CBN Talent Center (renamed Star Circle and now Star Magic) was the first TV Media talent center to develop a stable of new stars for the network
Airs the LONGEST Running Primetime Newcast
- “TV Patrol” will celebrate its Silver Anniversary in 2012 since in its inception in 1987
FIRST Filipino Program Aired Internationally
- The longest primetime newscast program, “TV Patrol”, was the first Filipino program to be seen abroad in September 1992.
FIRST TV Broadcaster to Venture International Telecommunication Network
- With the venture of ABS-CBN, the country’s largest network, to one of respected international telecommunication network, PanAmSat (Pacific – North American Satellite), ABS-CBN switched from international taped telecasts to live satellite feeds.
FIRST Media Conglomerate to Expand into Philippine Movie Production
- ABS-CBN expands its growth to Philippine movie production by Star Cinema with its debut movie turned into a blockbuster movie, “Adan Ronquillo”. Now, ABS-CBN Film Productions, Inc renowned as the Philippines’ largest film production, next to Regal Films.
FIRST TV Broadcaster to Expand TV Programming Abroad
- As ABS-CBN signed historic lease with PanAmSat, ABS-CBN expands its broadcasting into The Filipino Channel (TFC) with now 80% viewership throughout the globe from Middle East, North and South America, Europe, Africa and Australia-Pacifica.
Owned the FIRST Live Philippine Broadcast Rights for International Sports Event
- 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona, Spain was the first Philippine broadcast of an international sports event was owned and aired the rights of ABS-CBN.
With the FIRST and TOP-RATED Live Philippine Broadcast Rights for International Beauty Pageant
- Like the 1992 Barcelona Olympics, ABS-CBN owned the rights to broadcast live of the 1994 Miss Universe Pageant, the first live Philippine broadcast for international beauty pageant and also garnered the highest rated live broadcast with an average NUTAM rating of 62.5%.
Owns the Philippines’ FIRST International TV Station
- ABS-CBN has now the first Philippine TV network to have an international TV station in North America, now it is used as TFC office in North America.
Philippines’ FIRST Broadcasting Network to Own A Terrestrial Cable Channel
- Sarimanok News Network, now known as ABS-CBN News Channel or ANC, was the first terrestrial cable channel owned by a broadcasting network in the Philippines, also the first terrestrial cable channel to simulcast 24-hour continuously of news and current affairs programming.