ABS-CBN’s First in the Philippine Broadcasting History (Part 4)
Posted by rency0722 on February 25, 2010
The newest and latest firsts from ABS-CBN
First to introduce Interactive Media Website
- ABS-CBN Interactive (ABSi) was launched in 1996 to enhance the multimedia’s strength online. ABSi administrates the main website ABS-CBN.com and other services such as KText, and all other ABS-CBN Multiply Sites.
FIRST Network to license a social networking site online
- In 2008, ABS-CBN bought license in Multiply from Baton Rouge, Florida, USA to expand its accessibility online. Now, every ABS-CBN program has its Multiply Site, offering streaming and media to be downloaded.
FIRST to utilize 1 inch Helical Video tape
- 1964 was the year ABS-CBN used 1” Helical Video Tape, a first in a TV history.
FIRST to utilize Betacam format
- Betacam format was the most popular format used worldwide. In 1987, ABS-CBN was the first network to utilize Betacams to record a program.
FIRST electronic newsroom
- With the birth of TV Patrol, ABS-CBN was the first network to use electronic newsrooms in broadcasting the lastest news all over the Philippines.
FIRST to venture into Licensing and Merchandise
- ABS-CBN Licensing Group was the first network-based department to produce merchandising items from ABS-CBN programs. It was all started in1996.
FIRST Filipino-made animation studios
- ABS-CBN Animations, bringing the first locally-animated TV series Super Inggo at ang Super Tropa, 2009. Led by Guia Jose, a part of the creative team of Hannah-Barbera, an animation studio that made the Jetsons and the Flinstones popular of, ABS-CBN Animations is one of the FIRST in the television industry offering more sophisticated animations locally-produced in the country.
Owns the HIGHEST Grossing Movie of All-time
- As of this writing, ABS-CBN Film Productions, also known as Star Cinema, owns the highest grossing Filipino film of all-time, with venture to Viva Films. 2009 film You Change My Life, starring John Lloyd Cruz and Sarah Geronimo, is the sequel to their 2008 movie A Very Special Love, which is also one of the highest-grossing Filipino flick of all-time. Garnering 230.44 million pesos, beating its sister film in terms of the film production outfit, Sukob, which has only 186.41 million pesos in 2006.
Has the HIGHEST-GROSSING Films of all-time
- Star Cinema owns 8 of the highest-grossing flicks of all-time. List includes Caregiver of Sharon Cuneta (P 147M) at 8th place, One More Chance by Bea Alonzo and John Lloyd Cruz in 2007 (P152.79M) at 7th, Judy Ann Santos’ comeback film in Star Cinema and 2006’s MMFF box-office film Kasal, Kasali, Kasalo (P162.37M) at 6th, Ai-Ai delas Alas’ first box-office film Ang Tanging Ina in 2003 (P177.82M) at 5th, co-ventured with Viva Films is a 2008 flick A Very Special Love (P179.57M) at 4th, Claudine Barretto and Kris Aquino’s horror movie Sukob (P186.41M) at 3rd, 2008 MMFF’s box office movie of the year, Ang Tanging Ina Nyong Lahat with P197M and 2nd and topmost is another co-ventured film with Viva, John Lloyd Cruz’ and Sarah Geronimo’s You Change My Life with P230.44M on box-office tallies, or over $ 4.7M according to Box Office Mojo.
Owns NUMEROUS Number of Cable TV Channels
- ABS-CBN has now 15 cable channels including its main station ABS-CBN and UHF Studio 23. These are Cinema One, Myx, Balls, Balls HD, Velvet, Knowledge Channel, Hero TV, Lifestyle Channel, Maxxx, Pinoycentral TV, ANC, Tambayan 101.9 TV, and DZMM Teleradyo 630. Besides, ABS-CBN also offers pay-per-view channels like Pinoy Big Brother and Pinoy Dream Academy 24/7.
Formed the LARGEST magazine distribution network in the country
- ABS-CBN Publishing covers 200 key cities and municipalities all-over the Philippines.
The FIRST OVERSEAS Filipino Publisher
- With the help of ABS-CBN’s The Filipino Channel, ABS-CBN Publishing has been recognized as the first Filipino Publisher to have overseas significant sales.
ABS-CBN will TOP the TALLEST STRUCTURE in the Philippines’ list.
- ABS-CBN is currently reinforcing their TV Tower in ABS-CBN Broadcasting Complex in Quezon City, providing that the network is getting ready to migrate in digital TV. The TV transmitter, locally and currently situated within a height of 198 meters, will be in a high-rise, succeeding its rival network TV transmitter, GMA Network’s Tower of Power (237 meters), leveling up to almost 250 meters. This will give ABS-CBN much better reception on Mega Manila, and gaining again their reigning ratings for 13 consecutive years.
FIRST to bring a showbiz entertainment news program in primetime slot.
- In 2008, Showbiz News Ngayon, or SNN, is the first entertainment news program in the primetime slot, hosted by the Queen of All Media, Ms. Kris Aquino and King of Talk Shows, Mr. Boy Abunda.
FIRST Realiserye (Reality-Teleserye)
- After Pinoy Big Brother Double Up’s success, PBBDU Big Winner Melissa Cantiveros and 3rd Big Placer Jason Francisco has done the first realiserye in the Philippine TV history. With the title Melason In Love, the program aims to show how Melissa and Jason loves each other even outside the real world of the Big Brother House.